Saturday 1 January 2011

2011 - Thus far, excellent.

I've had a few interesting New Year's Eves. I remember once spending that special midnight at a train station in Leatherhead. Surreal doesn't even come close. Another year I spent at my house with my family and friends during a stage where my dad had a particular infatuation with Sean Paul. Inevitably, the night played out with us getting drunk and enduring 'Like Glue' on repeat. I spent another at my friend Hal's where his family made my friends and I an awesome meal but then somehow played out with us all wreaking havoc on the green at the front of his house. However; in spite of all past events, in spite of all that's occurred and happened before, last night may well have topped it. 


Festivities took place at Lottie Markworth's home in Brighton. I'd like to state prior to the rest of this story the conditions in which Lottie lives via some brief examples. Over the course of the day we created a game named 'Razor Challenge!' in which you stand in the tiny, tiny shower and try and pick up a razor from the floor. It is of course impossible without dislocating your arms and legs. Example two - 5am, whilst trying to get to sleep on the floor with my sweetheart Paul Olney, I could literally see my breath above my head. It was that cold. Lord knows how that girl manages to live there, I'm really manly and I wouldn't last.


We spent a few hours drinking at the house prior to us going out and as a result ended up being as unstable as toddlers on crack on unicycles. My memory is a hazy mess, but from the pieces I can stick together it felt like Brighton was a post-apocalyptic wasteland. I've never in my life seen so many people crawling, falling over, chundering and crying simultaneously. And that was before midnight. Our group, being the special bunch we are, ended up split up in different bits of Brighton. Some of us went to Jam, a club which busted out the retro tunes and charged £7 for a a double vodka and redbull. Others spent their time on the beach; with chips, fireworks and hundreds of floating paper laterns. I was lucky enough to experience a bit of both and then get lost. Luckily, the drunken people of Brighton were surprisingly accommodating and pleasant. After a short hour and a half walk, during which I definitely didn't throw up over myself, I made it back to the house. The whole thing was very exciting really.


If the rest of the year continues as this has begun I can safely say that this'll be a good year. I can't think of people I'd rather spend my time with or a place I'd rather be with my life than where I am now. To whoever's bothered to read this, I love you. Happy 2011.

1 comment:

  1. shame I didn't get to spend it with you guys...
    again.
    lame.
    but glad to hear you had a good one. Happy new year fella

    ReplyDelete