Saturday 22 January 2011

Back to the Steel City.

Everything's going so quickly. Christmas and New Year went by in a hazy blur, as it always does, and I've found myself back in Sheffield already in a bad sleeping pattern and in dire monetary need. On top of all the work I gotta do, I got a smörgåsbord of films and television shows to watch INCLUDING - Every single episode of 'The Wire' & 'Band of Brothers'; as well as 'Rec', 'October Sky', 'Flashbacks of a Fool' and a million others. It's pretty fucking awesome to know that they're there for me to watch depending on what I feel like. 


The other day I watched 'I'm Still Here'. It's a mockumentary detailing Joaquin Phoenix (the bad ass motherfucking emperor in 'Gladiator') and his transition from an actor to an aspiring rapper. The whole things a satire of entertainment business, Joaquin and partner in crime Casey Affleck take everything that's known about the business and spit in it's face. Here's the thing. I was reading the reviews for the film, from critics and audiences as well, and I was mega, mega puzzled. Are people really, really fucking thick? Everyone seemed to think that it was real, that Joaquin was actually an amalgamation of everything that's wrong with modern celebrity. Did they not watch the same film I did? The one where Joaquin sniffs coke off a prostitute's boobs? The one where his best mate takes a dump on a him when he's asleep? The one where, at the end of the film, it says 'WRITTEN BY JOAQUIN PHOENIX'? People are crazy man. Watch it, it's interesting, clever and funny.


I've been busting my way through the Millennium Trilogy films and thus far can't recommend them more. 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' is totally badass. The first of the three films, it tells the story of a journalist who's aided in his search for a woman who has been missing -- or dead -- for forty years by a young female hacker. Whoever sorted out the casting did a stellar job, every character's believable and has depth that isn't really seen in an action / drama like this. The sequel 'The Girl Who Played with Fire' has a story that's a bit more far-fetched but it's still worth seeing. I'm yet to watch the third, but I'll let you know if it's hot or not. The series was all shot in Sweden and makes the place look awesome (and bloody cold). It's one of those films where those locations and settings really add to the story and help add to a proper sense of realism. 


As I said earlier, I've got a film to make by the 9th, so when it's done I'll pop it up on here and whatnot. In the meanwhile, here's a video of my one true love singing sweet, sweet lullabies with her band She & Him. Seriously, Zooey could be covered in syringes and bees and you'd still have to knock me out to stop me from kissing her.


P.s I redesigned this blog, let us know if you think it's crap. 


No comments:

Post a Comment