Monday 13 September 2010

The summer of '10.


It's been a slow few months. The days have merged into one big haze with only flashes of memorable, discernible moments. It's strange to think that this summer is really the last of its kind; everyone is gone, no-one is left back in the safety of Surrey's glorious bosoms. This Sunday I make leave for university up in Sheffield and to be perfectly honest I have no idea what to expect and that's kind of why I'm looking forward to it. 


In a way it's kind of a shame to be leaving. I finally managed to find some work (after failing miserably for weeks on end), our 'group' gained some excellent new members and, as always, there are some super-sweet video games coming out for xbox. Just my luck. 


That's not to say that this summer hasn't had it's high points. All the photos on this post were taken at Reading Festival 2010, where the music was good and the company was even better. Highlights included - drinking from 8am, an almost record perfect performance from Arcade Fire, a brief but brilliant moment during the Silent Disco where everyone in the tent lay on the floor looking to the stars, my good friend Ross McKenzie throwing 160 individual baby wipes around a tent and inventing & playing a game which will surely be remembered for aeons to come known only as 'Eat the Cheese'.


As well as Reading came a series of performances at nearby Epsom Downs, where generic pop acts would play to foolish ticket buyers whilst paupers and scene kids alike (namely us) would gather on the nearby fields and hills to thieve the music from the air and enjoy each others company. More often than not the perilous walk to and from Epsom via the woods would be just as fun as the time we spent there.


I went travelling for a few months at the beginning of the year and visited some spectacular places and met some amazing people. I spent a lot of the summer thinking about how lucky I was to get the chance to do it and what I'd change and why I'd want to go back etc etc blah blah blah. But one of those earlier mentioned amazing people came in the form of Leila, a strange talking Australian who we met up with back here in England after our trip. Long story short, she says the word 'fish' funny, she can eat more than most fully grown wrestlers and I was heartbroken to see her go. Fingers crossed I'll have an excuse to go the Melbourne some day and cause some havoc.


In more disastrous leaving-themed news, my aforementioned friend Ross leaves for the Marines tomorrow. I'm pretty sure he'll just be training so there's not too much to worry about but it's a pretty daunting thought nonetheless. I was especially terrified after reading the Wikipedia page for the Royal Marines which essentially lists a horrendous archive of guns they use and strenuous physical activity they'll be undertaking. Gross. It's strange, I have this horrific amalgamation of worry and nerves for my dear Rossy, but I don't suppose there's much more I can do than wish him luck and hope he doesn't get bummed or shot in the foot.


On a positive note, this summer was one of small things as well big things - the more than welcome introduction of our not very manly poker nights, knocking over wheely-bins in the middle of the night and then driving away as fast as we could, the shopping trips, the days where I'd wake up at 1 and go to bed at 4, driving in cars with music turned up, the endless nights spent in Epsom spoons with good company and a glass of Strongbow, the nights where there was nothing to do so we'd just wander around, playing guitar with Fred until the Sun came through the blinds and we realised it was morning, the hours wasted playing videogames, watching films and reading books I've read a million times before; the list goes on. 


It seems now all I really have left to do is go forwards and I'll be on the right track. That just leaves the small matter of getting everything ready for studying and living for three months and learning how to make friends again. Maybe I should have been organising that rather than sitting around in my pants watching 'Eight Legged Freaks'. Again.


P.s The glorious video below pretty much sums everything I loved about this summer. That and also my undying, unrequited love for Régine Chassagne.
P.s.s Some of these photos were taken by Coco Williams and so you should totally check her out.


1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful.
    Thank you for writing this and thank you so much for the mention xxx
    p.s I get the Reading photo prints tomorrow, if any of them remind you of these times you're welcome to take them with you to uni.

    ReplyDelete