Saturday 18 September 2010

The last goodbye and a funny man.

This is Charlie Brooker.
If you haven't had a chance to read any of his works might I be the first to tell you to do so.
He manages to be funny and brutally honest as a critic of media and life in general. This is a brief excerpt from his book 'Dawn of the Dumb'.

"Four thousand years ago I used to write a website called 'TV Go Home', which consisted of capsule descriptions of imaginary television programmes - most of them ghastly creations teetering on the brink of plausability. One of the earliest entries was 'Wanking for Coins', which was described as 'apocalyptic fun as Rowland Rivron tours the seedy backstreets of London's West End persuading the homeless commit acts of self-degredation in exchange for pennies'.
I liked the phrase 'Wanking for Coins' so much I went on to use it again and again. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed to sum up an entire world of low-level employment. Stuck in a dead-end job? Wanking for coins. Obliged to smile at customers? Wanking for coins. Working extra shifts to pay the rent? Wanking for coins."

The article goes on to speak of a television show I'd never heard of called 'Fortune: Million Pound Giveaway' and the whole thing is just HILARIOUS. 

Buy his books, watch his shows, read his articles.

Tomorrow I head off to university up in Sheffield, so I don't know when I'll next be able to write on this. Fingers crossed I can put some of my work up on here for you to judge and maybe enjoy. Until then, listen to this on repeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment